Youth
Stepping into the water cave is as stepping into an ocean of calmness and peace. All is silent except for the noise of water, flowing in whispers, taking you to a small pond full of bright colored fish. There you find me. Lying down, with my arm under the water, trying to catch the fish as they swim by.
The oil lamps would be the next feature to catch your attention. With their inconspicuous smell, softened by the mist, some are fading, announcing they will soon stifle into the night. Consequently my favorite spot, right to the sitting rock, next to the pond, sometimes, when the coil is calm, one can witness a rapturous procession of fires glimmering in the dewy walls. Bedazzled, I predicted upon which lamp would be the first to give in under a small inverted waterfall of smoke.
In the center, I see a small but steady fire embracing a huge log with the smallest of flames. There I see my brother and grandfather placing stones over the fire. Shirtless and barefoot, I stand facing the fire, waiting for the commencement of our ceremony.
I was north. I would always take north corner for myself. This means I enter the tent last. It also means, I would be a rock carrier. When everybody was already inside on their own corner, I would introduce the bright rocks. There is no other light than that of the luminous rocks. I close the entrance behind me and sit like a young Siddhartha. There, gazing into the redness, hear the sound of water scalding instantly against the rocks. Then closing my eyes I wait for the wave of heat to clash upon my face.
I lower my head to the point I rest it against the moistened ground; there is a lot cooler and breathable. I envision the most exiting and romantic landscape where laid in a silent bower, a shepherd rests his head against a tree. With leafs landing upon his head exhaling sleepy clouds of sleepy smoke, he glances at the mountains with their topaz hue, under the dreamiest of lights. This shepherd is my grandfather’s opiate voice dozing me as I press my face against the cool ground.
We traveled. And each time, we would end up in different places. Racing our horses home under a heavy rain, sitting on top of Churea Peak, walking slowly against the wind on some grassy field. My grandfather’s paced words gave me just enough time to find him on his elaborated landscapes. Together we walked under my imagination’s fancy, over a sea of feral azaleas.
He was the keeper of truths. Life’s deepest and most important truths came to me from this man. He taught me about love and the hearts of men. He taught me how to be a light beater and a keeper of the good. How noble was his selfless love towards nature.
Heat rises, as we approach the end of the ceremony. The room darkens under a fiery embrace. The last scoops of water are thrown against the rocks. There you find me, closing my eyes as hard as I can, waiting for all the rest to leave the tent. Outside, is not as dark. The moon, the stars, and all those oil lamps, keep the cave somewhat lightened. The air is so fresh and breathable. I walk outside the cave and feel the cool breeze of the few minutes before dawn.

21 Comments:
HEy MR.SANCHES iS AilEEN fROM yOUR ClASS...yEAH i LikE tHE StORy..WHEN i REAd iT iT MAdE ME fEEl gOOd BUt AGAiN iT KEEpEd ME tHiNKiNg...
AilEEN*
This comment has been removed by the author.
WELL THiS iS TiERRA FROM YOUR 6TH AND 2nD PERiOD CLASS AND i ACTUALLY READ THE HOLE THiNG AND i THiNK YOU GOT THAT FROM THE BOOK YOU WANTED ME TO READ CALLED SADARTHA OR SOMTHiNG LiKE THAT i REALLY COULDNT GET iT MUCH iT HAD TO MANY BiG WORDs THAT i DiDNT UNDERSTAND.
Yo,Mr.Sanchez. This is Nathan D. from periods 2/7.
I thought it was an interesting peice,and very descriptive.The first person veiw works well with the story.
One sentence really confused me though. "I walk outside the cave to find me a horizon." It sounds as if it was dictated by a trucker...haha.
All in all,I can't really say I liked it a whole lot,simply because I'm more of a suspense/horror kind of person,but this was a good first choice.
Hey, MR!!! sanchez itz me chris from 1 and 7th period. Anyways the story was pretty good, a liked it. It confused me a lil but for me it ment to be relaxed and still move on with your life even someone has passed away.
The reason i say these is because it seems that the grandfather teached a lot of things to him. But thats all i kuld think of but i liked it ! jajajaja SEE Y@! :)
hay Mr. Sanches
the story was intriting and mostly imginable. my MENTAL PICTURES came to me wild. many beautiful picturs came to my head. my PREDICTIONS was a cave man walking back to camp.
when it said about the pretty colorful fish i thought you were talking about the jungel. then the when you said FIRE then i thought indiens. The story was so great that my mother loved it!!!
By:Francisco Hernandez per2,6
This comment has been removed by the author.
hey mr. its me GINA, from your first period (and 6th). well i read the story and i liked it. it made me feel calm and relaxed. where did you get it from? is it from that book you read us in 6th period?
hey mister itz me manuel cedre aka hyper boii and dis thing confused me a couple times but usually knew what alot of the things meant.....
but yea i understand what it means when he said he waz the last to enter the tent and the last to leave as in saying he doesnt follow everyone
and his grandfather taught him alot from what i read so i think that was good well see u tomorrow kk kk wel ssseeeeeeeeeeeee yyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
This comment has been removed by the author.
This is Keyerah from your 1st and 7th period. This piece was very intriguing. It brought to mind a Childs dream with its details. I liked it overall, it was very calming. The writer isn’t negative to what he writes but is not positive either. He is neither all at once. Catch my drift, I hope you do. The one part about the horizon made me think of pirates with the way it is worded. But this was a very interesting piece that I enjoyed.
I think that the story is really cool. It really made me feel peaceful. I really enjoyed reading it.
Miguel Machado
hey mr yes dis is michelle 'lyn' 4 u well about the story it was pretty interesting and with alote of emotions!!!i liked it alote even though it ws a bit weird!!! but other wise it was coo!!ooo yea im from ur 1st and 7th period!!!
SEE YAAA =]
I think this story is about how this kids grandpa taught him a lot of things.Then somehow his grandpa died. That was a couple of years ago.Now that he is writing this
his okay -->("Stepping into the water cave is as stepping into an ocean of calmness and peace.")
But he still has this sad feeling
deep inside him -->("All is silent except for the noise of water, flowing in whispers")
so yea thats what i think
ohh yea im from 3 & 6th period
Your favriote classes :))
Ana :)
Heyy Mr.Sanches it's me Deserea from 1st period (:. When reading this story the young boy used alot of words to help you visualize the stories that his grandfather would tell him.
This comment has been removed by the author.
This comment has been removed by the author.
HEY MISTER THIS IS DAVID LIZARRAGA
I THINK THAT THIS STORY SOUND LIKE A MAYAN RITUAL BUT THE MOOD OF THE STORY WAS RATHER DARK.
hey mister s,it's Jerry from 3&6 period,i say that the story was OK and i guess i can actually say that i kinda liked it,so don't take any points away from my other comment.
WATS UP MR SANCHEZ ITS ME ARMANDO FROM YOUR THIRD PERIOD YA I READ YOUR STORY. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I THOUGHT IW WAS BORANG...NO OFFENSE. YES THE STORY PAINTED A PICTURE IN MY MIND BUT THATS IT. I REALLY DIDNT UNDERSTAND IT ALL I KNOW YOU TALKED ABOUT YOUR POINT OF VIEW AND THE RESPECT FOR YOUR GRAMPA. HE SHOWED YOU WHAT YOU KNOW BUT THATS ABOUT IT. DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH SOMETHING ABOUT AZTEC? WELL THATS WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR STORY
HEllO MR.SANCHEZ(:
iT;S lEjAE yOU;R FAVORiTE StUDENt=]
i READ tHEE WHOlE StORy ANd i LiKED iT ALOt:) iT WAS PREtty CONfUSiNG BUtt i LiKED iT i HAD tO REAd iT A FEW TiMES<3 WEll WHAt i iMAGiNEdd WAS ALOT; THiS AUtHOR MAdE ME iMAGiNE AlOt OF tHiNGS i LiKED HiM EVERRyTHiNG HE SAiD i COULd PiCTURE iT ALL iN MY HEAD ANd AS i WAS REAdiNg i WAS PREDiCTING ANd THiNKiNG ABOUt iT WEll YEAHH tHiS AUtHOR WAS KU (:
PEACE& LOVE<3
LEJAE<3
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home